Raising level of garage floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

My garage floor is around 10cm lower than the block paving that leads up it, when it rains the garage gets flooded. I first thought of a drainage channel in front of the garage door however the garden is too small for a soak away and to connect to the main drain id have to apply for planning permission, rip up a lot of block paving and take the drain pipe under a wall, so I figure it is simply easier to raise the garage floor level (my neighbors did exactly this).

The garage is located to the rear of the property, completely detached and is accessible via a shared access way between the 2 houses, it is just big enough to get a small car down so I dont thing a cement mixer would be able to do it, therefore what would be the best way to get the required amount of concrete I need? Would I simply be able to buy multi purpose cement from B&Q or something and just keep mixing a bag, laying a bag, mixing a bag, laying a bag, until the floor is the required height? I figure I would need around 10 bags of 20kg cement (the garage is around 2.5m x 4m). Or is this completely the wrong direction?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you're going to raise the floor by 100 mm then you are probably looking at around 1 m³ of concrete.

For 1 m³ you'll need:

350Kg of cement = 14 standard bags
700Kg of sand = 28 standard bags
1200Kg of aggregate = 48 standard bags
120 Litres of clean water

You could use all-in ballast (combined sand and aggregate) instead of separate sand + aggregate = 76 bags

I'd be inclined to look at drainage or forming a raised front edge behind the block paving before raising the floor.

100 mm is 4 inches

Do you drive in and out? That's a massive drop
How does the door open?

NotSoNewboy - that was my original thought however aside from putting the actual drainage channel in it will have to go under the wall into the garden, then down the patio id have to rip up and into the shared system drain (foul and water). I was hoping it would be easier to raise the level but that sounds like a lot of material.

Tigercubrider - yep 10cm is from the top of the block paving to the floor of the garage. I don't drive in and out atm but I would like to think I could if I ever wanted to. The door is an over and under (already looked at the door it can be cut down and have the base riveted back on easy enough).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why was the block paving layed without thought for the garage?
If the drive slopes towards the garage you're still having to get problems if you raise it to the save level. You also might get damp under your slab, which may or may not matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back