Garage floor, repair or replace concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks.

Have a concrete garage floor that's showing signs of age in need of attention. Been putting it off for a while.

Garage is used to park a car, and will continue to do so.

As the pics show, floor is a little broken in places, has been patched here and there, surface crumbling, chips breaking off and a fair bit of dust now being created. Surface wasn't sealed or painted when laid afaik.

My aim is to raise the floor a couple of inches to help stop rainwater blowing in through the bottom of the garage door.

My question:
Is it ok to just add a 60mm layer of concrete/cement (or whatever material best) to this existing floor, seal/paint it, and hope it won't crack and break with the weight of a family car...
Or to remove this existing floor completely, install rebar and relay it from scratch?

I know it's always going to be better to re-do the whole thing, but I'm wondering how viable a cheaper quicker fix of a 60mm top layer will be. What material would be best suited, how long might it last, would it take a car coming and going over it daily etc.

Have had some advice that a screed layer of 4:1 sharp sand / cement mix at 60mm deep would be fine. Does this sound about right?

I wouldn't be too bothered about the whole thing, but it's just getting worse with time.

Thanks.

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Sponsored Links
It looks as if there is a fair slope at the front, so height isn't really an issue.
I would be tempted to cut a channel across the width of the front, to divert water away from the door

You can buy garage door seals to stop ingress

Unless you need a perfect floor, I'd give it the heck of a sweep then use garage floor paint

There's a ramp that runs up into the garage, the floor itself is level. There was a cemented ridge put in (not by me!) at the front to stop water ingress under the door, but as the first pic shows it's mostly missing now.

Would a self levelling floor screed compound be ok? Would it be strong enough to withstand the wear of a vehicle.

I'd like the finish to be smooth, ideally. Smooth and strong enough that if I'm working on a car, it'll take floor jacks etc.

Sponsored Links
You can get self leveler which can be used as a wear surface, its used on wearhouse floors etc.
Normal stuff is not strong enough.
You could also epoxy it or grind a new surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back