Garage Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a garage attached to my house, It was built 10 years ago as part of a 2 floor extension (2 bedrooms above).

A few months ago I posted on here to ask for advice on turning it into a part garage part pool room by adding a stud wall.
The general view was that if I was leaving the garage door and the front part as a garage, there was no point 'converting it' and getting building control involved. Instead, just make it a 'comfortable garage' that could be dismantled if I ever see (or left up if any buyer liked the layout).

The garage has insulated walls etc, but the floor is just the old driveway that was there before. So, I want to put down damp proof and insulation before screed floor.

The floor is currently at a slope (I guess from its days as a driveway to allow rain to run off), so I need to level it. Would I be best to do this before damp proof, or use the screed process to level?

Anything I have missed?

Sponsored Links
The DPC for the house seems to be 8 courses of brick up from the infill. The area of bricks below this will be evaporating water into your new room. what sort of slope over what sort of distance? How much headroom have you in hand?
Frank

Hi,

Yes the garage is lower than the house, so the DPC is high. I was going to put the damp proof membrane sheet up to just below this level, is that not correct?

Got a decent amount of headroom, the backdoor is about 15cm above the current floor level, going any higher would compromise the opening of the door.

The slope isn't massive, maybe 5-10cm from high point (by the house wall) to the lower point opposite wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back