Garage help....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all...

Im a kitchen/bathroom fitter by trade, Self employed, But employed by my uncle so i know abit of handy work..

Right, Im in abit of a dilemma..

Its not my house, but i live here. So dont really want to spend mega money on the garage.. It needs knocking down and redoing tbh.

The lintel needs replacing, but im not going to tackle that. The doors need replacing as there rotten so going to have to do that..

Reason im starting with the garage is we park our cars in there. And when its windy its blows brick dust all over the cars as there face side is crumbling due to age(inside), or when i shut the doors. And now were getting an expensive car, i dont want it getting all over it... Sooooo i was thinking of giving it a skim over with something...

We do dot and dabbing but i dont want to go to that sort of expense.

Can i use dry wall adhesive as an 8mm skim to stop the brick dust, or will a cement render be better??

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
hiya rendo!

im pretty sure there's a way of getting round the brick dust blowing over your car, rather than going to the expence of plastering in your garage unless thats what u wanted to do then i would say sand n cement

I cant see any other way off stopping it..

I often work on our cars also so car covers aren't an option. Its a single bricked garaged, so when ever the doors get pushed together there's always abit of dust....

I only thought of drywall adhesive as it drys solid and might be a cheaper alternative to both sand and cement??????

Any more thoughts please?? So i can start today....

Thanks

I cant see any other way off stopping it..

I often work on our cars also so car covers aren't an option. Its a single bricked garaged, so when ever the doors get pushed together there's always abit of dust....

I only thought of drywall adhesive as it drys solid and might be a cheaper alternative to both sand and cement??????

Any more thoughts please?? So i can start today....

Thanks

Sand and cement will be better than adhesive, stronger and more reisitant to damp - (probably cheaper as well?) but as said above, can you seal it by painting on Brick Sealer, or diluted SBR/waterproof PVA ?

Sponsored Links
Its already PVAd.. But still crumbling.....

Ill give it a skim of sand and cement.. Thanks

Now theres an idea..

Thought it through and sand and cement it is.... CDX would take more room than S&C due to the walls bellying....

Thanks anyhow.. :)

Now theres an idea..

Thought it through and sand and cement it is.... CDX would take more room than S&C due to the walls bellying....

Thanks anyhow.. :)

Only worry is the surface, if it is crumblng etc, make sure you brush off all loose and dust before render - perhaps paint on a sand/ cement slurry on first then render on to that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back