plastering help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have bricked up a doorway using thermalite air bricks. i now need to platser the sides. the existing walls have about 10mm of something, then a skim of plaster on outside. what is that 10mm made of? i take it i cant put 11 mm of skim plaster on? this is my first go at plastering, it doesnt have to look that good (im sure it wont) as i am tiling over the top, so i just need a go base.

jamie

Sponsored Links
The 10mm of something will either be a sand/cement render or some form of a base coat plaster. You can’t just use skim plaster (Multifinish) that thick as it will craze & fall off. Assuming you’ve bricked up the doorway leaving the blocks approx. 10-12mm mm. below the surrounding plaster; you need to chip away the edge of the plaster all around the old door opening where it meets the blocks to give a rough edge, this helps to stop cracking where the new plaster meets the old.

You then have a couple of choices:

Build up the door recess using Hardwall plaster but you need to do it in 2 layers or it will crack; if you’re going to tile over the plaster you can plaster out to the same level using Hardwall as this will give a finish good enough for tiling onto. Don’t try & get it smooth immediately, just get it up there & then drag a straight piece of wood (or metal if you have it) across the door opening top get it level with the surrounding area, then you can trowel it flat & smooth but that’s where the tricky bit comes in!

Alternatively, you can leave the second layer of Hardwall 2-3mm below the surrounding wall & skim it level using Multifinish plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back