Garage Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting an extension built with double garage and bedrooms above.

The builder has priced for insulating the upstairs and not the garage area.

My question being do I need my garage insulating, is there a benefit, I take it long term if I ever need to convert it would be an advantage..

The overall area I would need to insulate is 40sqm2, the materials to do this would cost £200 the builders quoted me £460 to supply and fit the 100mm cavity slabs, does this sound reasonable, I just took it that it was minimal effort to add these as the walls were getting built up anyway...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The builder should not hold you ransom for the costs of extra work. Normally you should have agreed a day or hourly rate, and this world be the basis of valuing work - not picking random figures.

He's quoted you the equivalent of one man for two days to fit that insulation.

The materials should be at their cost plus 10%

For fitting, say 5 minutes per m2. So that's 3 1/4 hours.

Let's say £20 per hour hourly rate for a bricklayer. So that will be £65.00 maximum labour

I've decided not to get it done purely on the cost of getting it fitted, and the actual time is not worth the cost quoted, from looking around...Even though I would prefer it fitted... Maybe I will get it blown in at a later date..if thats ok.

Sponsored Links
When i built my own extension we fitted cavity insulation just for the fun of it.

Costs were irrelevant in comparison to future savings should we ever wish to convert.

Your builder is an idiot, tell him.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back