Garage light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I want to change the light in my garage from a single bulb to a fluorescent strip light.

Can I straight forward swap them? No issues with wiring or fuses etc?

Thanks

Mark

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the speedy reply. I can see it's twin and earth running to the single light, so I just need to connect the earth to the florry? Is it safe to assume the other end will be earthed?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It's a new build so I'd like to think it had been done properly, however I get ur point.

Wot would be the best way to test the earth? Am I right in thinking if I install it, then using a voltmeter test between the live and neutral, then between the live and earth. I'd be looking to see the live and earth to have the same if not slightly higher reading for it to be a good earth. Anything less means poor or not earthed.

Or am I barking up the wrong or more complicated tree?

Thanks again

if your single bulb uses a 'loop-in' arrangement with 3 cables going to the light (one from previous light or CU, one to next light (may not be there if it is the last light on the circuit), and one to the switch, then make sure you mark the switch cable before unwiring it all (switch cable will have one core going to the bulb, should have red/brown tape or sleeving on the neutral side but this can fall off when pulling the cables though the hole in the ceiling rose (or it may be double brown cable)).
If it is loop-in then you will need a fouth bit of choc block to tie the 3 lives togeather inside the new fitting as most fittings only have 3 terminals for earth, neuteral and switched live.

Thanks for both of your help. Job done.

It was loop in as described, and must have been last in loop as only switch and one other feed going in.

Thanks again

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back