Garage lighting with no electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
I've seen a very old thread re putting lighting in a garage with no electrics - it's severely out of date.

I have a rented garage that sits below some flatlets. I don't live anywhere near the garages.

I want to install some lights in there so was thinking of some options:

1. Buy a 25w off grid solar lighting kit (comes with inverter and battery 25w kit) - can maybe mount them onbthe front of the building.

2. Buy / make some lights that can run off my dewalt batteries ( I don't have many but can buy more).

3. Buy dedicated rechargeable battery powered lights (would only use this if I knew a single charge would last a while).

4. Other options. Please suggest.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
what do you want to do in there?
is the garage painted white inside? (it really helps with spreading light)

Modern site lights are LED and are rechargeable .
I'd look at some rechargeable site lights from Screwfix or Amazon as a test. You can always return them.
You'd get 2-3 hours on full from a charge

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
LED lights run off a car battery?
Years ago I had lighting in my garage provided from a car battery and a couple of old headlamps. Perfect for seeing into and out of the garage. This was in the days before led’s so you’ll be able to improve on that.

Solar is great, I have a 100w panel and a cheap charge controller, hooked up to a large 12v battery from the scrappies, running various led lighting outside.

Assuming there's no risk of the panel being nicked where you are

Leisure battery and some 12v LED strips. Take the battery home every month or so and recharge it (if the solar option is likely to get nicked). Leisure batteries are far more tolerant of running in a low charge state than car batteries.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back