garage lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i would like to have lighting put in my garage, i currently have a consumer unit and 2 socket circuits in there. My garage roof is made up off steel roof trusses and there isn't really a way of fixing a light to them, so i was thinking about having wall lights instead, and more specifically bulkheads. I only really need lights at the back of the garage, where my fridge freezer and small storage cupboards are, as the rest of the garage is taken up by the car.

Can i fix bulkheads to the back wall?
Would the bulkheads be better off fixed to the side walls instead?
Would 2 bulkheads be sufficient?
Is there any sort of height requirements for fixing the bulkheads?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As the garage has a sloping roof the back wall is only 1.9m high. There is also a window in the middle of the wall which would prevent a strip light being run straight across it, there is about 750mm either side of the window where it might be possible?

That is the space i would intend to fit bulkheads or strip light, one either side of the window, or possible on either side wall 500mm from the back wall.

Sponsored Links
Hi, i can't find any girder clips which i could use to fix light to trusses, i can only find the ones for cables and conduit. Could you point me in the right direction please?

You could use 2 of this stlye with short lengths of chain to support a flouresent fitting. Use this style for a vertical girder edge. I don't know where these prices are coming from though as they are very high. You will need to buy the size that fits the thickness of your girder.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks, thats exactly what i was looking for.

How do i go about cutting the chain to length?

Is it ok to use a single fluorescent light? or do i have to use a twin fluorescent light?

Galv jack chain is fine, some of which I have for sale on a certain auction website!

The 3mm version I have will take a load of 8kg.

These links are easy to open with pliers.

I have successfully used anti-corrosives in places like garages, although I have fixed timber to the roof trusses then fitted the flu's to that but suspension is a great way of doing it.

Depends how much light you need as to whether you go for twins or not.

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Lighting_Menu_Index/Lighting_Fluorescent_Index/Twin_Flo_2/

I like them because they are waterproof, and knockproof. If they get knocked and the tube breaks, it is all contained in the sealed unit.

As the garage is mainly used for storage, are the single versions ok as well? Will 1 at the back fixed to the trusses going the width of the garage be sufficient?
There are too many unknowns - only you can really know/find out that. For a start, an awful lot depends on the layout and nature of the 'storage', and how tightly packed it is. I've seen some garages "used for (at lot of!) storage" in which any sort of light 'at the back' would hardly illuminate anything :)

Kind Regards, John

Will 1 at the back fixed to the trusses going the width of the garage be sufficient?

The best thing to do would be to buy one or beg/borrow an old standard flu fitting, connect it up temporarily with a flex and plug and move it round the garage to see what the best position is and whether the light output is enough.

After checking today i don't think hanging fluorescents will be an option, because the height of the garage is only 2m, plus the construction of the steel trusses/frame combined with the flat roof sitting directly on them makes it very difficult to fix any girder clips, or run any cable/conduit.

So i think i might have to revert back to my original plan, do you think wall lights is a viable alternative? I was thinking bulkheads for ease of connecting conduit due to everything being surface run.

Thanks

Can you post a picture of your garage roof?

I'm sure there will be a simple way to attach a light to it. Overhead lighting has been a much better solution in every garage I've ever worked in.

I have taken some pictures as requested. If you can't see any workable way of fixing fluorescents i am still open to the idea of fitting lights on the walls.

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 104

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back