Garage Lintel Height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am at lintel level and asked the brickie to install the garage lintel at the same height as the front door. I wasnt about when they installed them and now i think the garage is too high. They said its not a problem to lower it next week but i cant work out what size i want it.

As my external levels are going to be reduced i cant even guage it from standing there. The lintel currently sits 220cm above DPC. Assuming the drive finishes 150mm below this it will give a 235cm tall door. It just looks odd. I am thinking it needs to be dropped 1 course giving a opening height of around 113cm. I believe 7ft is deemed standard with garage doors?

Does that sound corr
Garage 1.jpg
Garage 2.jpg
Garage 3.jpg
ect. What height do you normally work to for the garage lintel?

Sponsored Links
Keep it same height as front door. You can get garage doors made to measure or off the shelf sizes not far off that height. You’ll lose a bit with the slab anyway assuming it’s a little bit higher than the drive. Even a small amount of add on trim at the top the same colour as the door will probably look better than the door heads being at different heights.

Sorry off topic, but what's the plan with the blockwork above both your lintels? I see the brick has brought down the lintels to be partial block height, but what are they going to do above/beside them? The concrete lintel seems to end at a height that doesn't allow for a course beside it.

Sponsored Links
Sorry off topic, but what's the plan with the blockwork above both your lintels? I see the brick has brought down the lintels to be partial block height, but what are they going to do above/beside them? The concrete lintel seems to end at a height that doesn't allow for a course beside it.

2 courses of blocks above

2 courses of blocks above
Cheers, but I meant the lintel looks to not be aligned with the coursing. Just wondered what the plan was as I am anticipating some similar misalignment when I used 254mm steels

I ended up dropping the lintels. One of our primary goals was to keep the externals of the property in full keeping with the rest of the road. The garage door was a large part of this and now looks spot on. Far happier today than i was yesterday.
Front.jpg

I am at lintel level and asked the brickie to install the garage lintel at the same height as the front door. I wasnt about when they installed them and now i think the garage is too high.
Sorry I'm late to the party.

Garage lintels are unique in terms of height position and should ignore the height precedent set (2.1m) by the house door/window headers.

Garage openings on older houses are very often too low for canopy doors, i.e. those that swing upward then occupy valuable headroom within the opening. For this reason, it is prudent to set the lintel at a height that fits with your desired garage door height parameters, which increase in 6" increments - i.e. 6'...6-6"...7'...7-6" etc.

You look at your garage door height, floor height (which often differs to the house FFL), add 3" for the crossbar then set the lintel on the next available brick course or cut a block to suit.

Deciding what looks good regards the rest of the house is not the best option. Choose a door size, add the thickness of the frame (3") then set the lintel to suit, measuring up from the garage floor.

Last edited:
This will look great once finished!
Apart from showing horrid blocks below DPC.(n)
And that outer skin of blocks above the garage door looks too high regards the relationship betwixt roof rafter, soffit over-hang and pitch.

Last edited:
This will look great once finished!
Thanks i hope so. Everything is such a mess at the moment sometimes i wonder. .

Deciding what looks good regards the rest of the house is not the best option.
I went with a little bit of both. The garage is not big enough for a modern car as we are using a bit of it to create a utility room. It will end up being a hybrid of a work shop for me and home gym for her. The lintel was set at approximately 7ft which from researching is a standard size door. It can be tweaked either way as the garage floor level is not yet set. This gave a door that is about 1ft taller and quite a bit wider than the original garage door but still in keeping with the style of the road. The more i look at it the happier i am that i dropped it.

And that outer skin of blocks above the garage door looks too high regards the relationship betwixt roof rafter, soffit over-hang and pitch.
I am mindful of this and fully expect to have to remove the top course and replace with a course of bricks or just cut back with in situ so that the rafters can over sail. I guess this is not an issue?

Slightly off topic but i need to raise the front door threshold by approx 30mm. Is this best to do by bedding a 32mm concrete slab on a thin bed or by shuttering and 30mm strong mortar bed. Door due to land next week so i want to get sorted asap.

There are add on profies for doors starting at 20mm I think.
Don't forget the skylight for the porch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back