Garage loft storage shelving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to create storage in the garage loft for all my hand tools etc so that the garage below is free as a workspace.

The garage is part of a new extension and the fink trusses run front to back and are spaced at about 600 centres and the trusses are approx 90mm x 40mm thick and span a distance of 9metres front to back with a support wall at 5m (the breeze block wall between the garage and the utility room).

I am planning to put the shelving at each end of the roof, it will be a 3m wide piece of cls timber about 300-400mm in front of the sloped edge of the trusses (top chord) at a height of about 600mm above the floor and secured into each gable wall (breeze block and brick) with horizontal support timbers secured either side of each of the top chords of the trusses (to provide the 'shelf' supports to put on a section of plywood) and vertical sections of cls upwards and secured into a cls purlin across all of the top chords of the trusses and also downwards onto a section of cls across all the bottom chords of the trusses.

Given that the shelving is at each end of the roof and has the outside wall for support then I would have thought it should be able to take the weight of a fair amount of power tools etc.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

Thanks

Shady

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back