Garage PIR position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an integral garage that is about 100mm wider that the up and over door that makes up one end of it. At the moment there is contact on the door and a PIR in the corner pointing across the up and over door and along one of walls.

When opening the up and over door it hides the PIR sensor from about 10% to 90% open and I can't really see another suitable position to move the sensor to to improve this!

It would obviously detect someone cutting through the garage door and walking in or the door being peeled in one corner.

How would you pro installer chaps normally cover this off? Move the PIR, add a second door contact, leave as is etc?

Sponsored Links
If it was a wired system ( ie not dependent on batteries in the sensors ) then my ( non -professional ) suggestion would be a break beam sensor acrros the door about a foot above floor level. ( assuming any peeling would be at ground level and the intruder crawls in ).

Mine was fitted in the far corner, pointing back towards the door.
Unless you're a burglar, in which case I'm not telling you where it is, and beware Fang and Satan... They're always pleased to see us but I don't fancy a strangers chances.

Sponsored Links
I've got one of these on the garage ceiling for exactly this reason: https://www.riscogroup.com/products/family/124 You can often pick them up on eBay for less than a tenner. Note that the microwave will need very careful adjustment to avoid picking up people walking past outside the garage door!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back