Best design for PIR placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've bought a Pyronix Enforcer V10 with 4 x PIR's and 1 x Contact. I will be putting the contact on the door of my detached garage (only access), and plan on putting all PIR's in the house.

I am after feedback on the best design for placement of the PIR's in my home. Pictures below, red dots are where I currently propose to put them.

My questions/thoughts:
1) Over time I plan to get an additional 2 x contacts for the front door and the rear patio door.
2) Over time I could get more PIR's for upstairs if recommended.
3) Are 3 PIR's downstairs an overkill?
4) I've read contradictory information that PIR's should not be pointed toward windows/patio doors as it could create false alarms when it detects someone outside, or window clear for example - do I need to worry about this?

I plan to program to have the ability to:
A) Full arm (garage, downstairs, upstairs) e.g. when no one is home
B) Part arm (garage, downstairs) e.g. when sleeping
C) Only garage armed. e.g. when I'm at home

Downstairs
2ngjOxw.jpg

Upstairs
JL6PJqB.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Jon.

Sponsored Links
Pirs react better to people crossing the beams ....so
Family area ....above table area corner
Hall ....across ( not behind the door )
Living area ....depends if curtains go across the window ( blocking pir )
Upstairs .....landing depending on any flat roofs to the rear

Thanks Sparkymarka, that is mega helpful. I was lazy and stole the layout from the developers website. My kitchen design is slightly different as I have lader (floor to ceiling) units where the table is. I've hacked a more representative view in photoshop. Given this I think the PIR is still best suited where I had it?

Also, to the left of the front door there is the Consumer Unit, but could mount next to it. I don't think I have any other obstacles to call out!

I don't have curtains at all (have venetian blinds) , so no issues there.

Updated diagrams below.

nky61Cp.jpg

I8cYODg.jpg

What do you think?

Sponsored Links
No idea, my house is a new build and I took the drawings from the developers website and edited in Photoshop.

The biggest challenge you could face is enough sensor range from panel to the room in 1st floor, theres some PIR´s model up to 25m, and also theres a wireless receiver optional to extend the range.

Im more fan of windows/doors sensors on ground floor, i want that the alarm trigger when try to get in, not when they are in.
The PIR´s can be used for larger spaces, corridors or where theres no windows, or to cover wider area.

If the budget isnt a problem, i would put sensors in all windows with 2 or 3 sensors to complement the security.
Its also important to have clearer and visible signs that the house has alarm system, this will discourage some group of thiefs to attempt anything.

nando, the signs you talk about are not a UK type of 'thing', they are more American, Oz and yourself.

The siren/bell box with company logos are it.

Comercial premises might have signs or stickers.

Lets go back to the good old days
Lace wiring on all fire doors,tube and batten on all ground floor rear windows and foil on glass on front windows.
You will not then require a sign they can see what protection you have.

I fitted a few record players many years ago. :) You know "Police, Police, Police, this is an automatic alarm system reporting from ...................
or Police Scotland Yard, Police Scotland Yard, Police Scotland Yard, this is an automatic alarm system reporting from Whitehall 1212, (whoops sorry that's your number)................... :LOL::p

I even recorded a lot in those days. (y)

I think I know the answer to this and it's No. But is there a way to get the panel to show what Area is currently set/armed?

Sorted. SYSTEM OPTIONS > System Displays > Display When Set = Yes [01]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back