Garage power details please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new build house and I am looking to install power into the garage (detached but within boundary). Speaking to the site foreman he informed me that they were going to provide this as standard but it was abandoned prior to completion. Luckily for me they have laid the conduit with armoured 3 core cable in it, all had to do was find the ends :D . My puzzle is what are the regs and was the sparks doing it following them.
The Garage end is no probs, I am going to get a garage CU from Screwfix ready with RCD and 2 breakers, but I am confused by the house end. The sparks for the site has brought the cable into the back of a double socket box in the house as if all he was going to do was spur the cable off of the socket with no protection in the house.

Firstly I don't think the cable is deep enough and has no marker tape above it. Are the regs different if it is not on public land
Next as a new installation should he not have brought it back to the main CU.
As it is not from the CU should it not have some form of independant protection such as a fuse or RCD or does it not need one with an RCD in the garage.

My thought is to cut in a single box below the socket (carefully) as this is the direction the cable comes in and remove it from the double box above. I can then fit protection into the single box and extend the ring main into the lower box. The question then is what to use? The only RCD from Screwfix is limited to 13A, is this the right device?

Sponsored Links
There is no requirement to RCD- protect the cable. Certainly, if you plan to have RCD protection at the destination of the SWA, don't RCD it at its origin.

The SWA must be glanded off correctly & the armour connected to earth. Where you connect to the garage CU (presumably insulated) you must ensure continuity of the SWA armour.

If the cable is fed from a ring final circuit, the limit is 13A, so an FCU should be used.

How deep is the cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back