Garage power for freezers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought a garage (no house so no power). The utility company want £0,000s to install power.

I have a business selling frozen food. I have several freezers (non-commercial) just the type you get from Comet/Dixons etc.

What options do I have to keep the freezers powered. Solar / generator? What else?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Forget solar power.
No sun, or at night, your freezer food will melt.

Generator is fine but they arent meant for continuous running. If it fails, or runs out of fuel then your food is ruined.

The only sensible option is to get power run to the garage. Sorry, you should have thought about that. Perhaps that garage isn't so dirt cheap after all?

Sponsored Links
I wondered about that.

Are there regulations for maximum temperature, and if so will domestic freezers do the job?

notmeagain - it looks like you can't go ahead, but if you do decide to get an on-grid supply put in you should run your plans past your local council's food safety/environmental health people, as this is definitely an area where it is not easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

And won't you need planning permission for the change of use? Let alone needing to meet the environmental health requirements for food storage.

Forget solar power.
No sun, or at night, your freezer food will melt.

Generator is fine but they arent meant for continuous running. If it fails, or runs out of fuel then your food is ruined.

The only sensible option is to get power run to the garage. Sorry, you should have thought about that. Perhaps that garage isn't so dirt cheap after all?

Thanks. I was afraid your expert opinion would come to this conclusion.

I wondered about that.

Are there regulations for maximum temperature, and if so will domestic freezers do the job?

notmeagain - it looks like you can't go ahead, but if you do decide to get an on-grid supply put in you should run your plans past your local council's food safety/environmental health people, as this is definitely an area where it is not easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

Will be sure to do so.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back