Garage power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week the garage power blow. Nothing was tripped, so assuming the circuit breaker needs replacing.

This is the box. Mem no longer exist.

Eaton seems to be the right ones, but the box is type 1 and Eaton only have type a, B, c etc

Is the 32a ear on type a from screw fix the right one?

If I turn off the mains, am I safe to remove the old one? Will it be obvious that it has blown?

Attachments

• 20211216_221046.jpg
    20211216_221046.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 108
Sponsored Links
What do you mean, garage power blew? Firework display with sound effects or just a lack of volts?
How is the garage connected to that very aged consumer unit? (Buried SWA, conduit or a manky bit of twin and earth nailed to a fence). Have you done any circuit checks with any sort of meter? Visual inspection of the cable and any junction boxes, sockets etc?
Have you tried switching the MCB off then on again (some types don't move the lever when they trip)
Has that ELCB been tested in living memory (either with a fault, a press of the test button or an EICR).

Thanks,

Yes we had the whole lot tested and had the lighting circuit in the entire house rewired 6 years ago.

The garage has it's own fuse box. Last weekend, we had rather a lot running off the garage plugs (outdoor heaters, sound system).

The power suddenly went off in the garage. Both the lighting and the plugs (2 sepearte circuit breakers in the garage fuse box).

Nothing tripped. No burning smell or anything. Tried resetting by turning the power off and on

Are you saying both MCBs (or are they rewirable fuses) in the garage blew/tripped OR that you lost power to both circuits in the garage?

Sponsored Links
You haven't just blown the socket in the garage have you?

Have you tested it for 240?

I have no idea if I am honest. The power went off in the garage to plugs and lights.

How would I check this? I assumed that as both have failed, it must be the electricity going into the garage rather than the garage itself

Are you saying both MCBs (or are they rewirable fuses) in the garage blew/tripped OR that you lost power to both circuits in the garage?

Nothing tripped.

Just lost all power to the garage (and the outside plug which feeds off the garage board)

I have no idea if I am honest. The power went off in the garage to plugs and lights.

How would I check this? I assumed that as both have failed, it must be the electricity going into the garage rather than the garage itself

Well if it's the lights as well then it's more likely to be an upstream fault. (Should they be on a separate circuit?)

A electrician might test the mcb for power in and out with a meter before doing anything else. If you've power both in and out of it you have a transmission problem. If its just in but no out, its a mcb problem and if its neither in or out, you have a distribution board problem.

Is the unmarked MCB next to it in use? Could that be substituted for the existing one?

I'll try in the morning. Assume that as long as I turn off the main switch to the right, I'm safe to go? I've got a current tester so will use that on the screws to be sure

I'm no electrician so cannot comment on what you should or shouldn't do.

I really don't think that diagnosing by swapping things is a safe and sensible way to go. A very quick set of measurements with readily available test equipment would find out what was at fault; MCB, or wiring from there to garage. If you aren't able to do that then I would call an electrician. Electric screwdrivers are not really useful for proving dead, either.

You need a 2 probe voltage tester, to determine what's live and what isn't.

Are there any (hidden) switches between the house consumer unit and the garage, that may have got knocked off? (For example, sometimes a redundant cooker circuit is used for a garage, and the cooker switch is left in place.)

A photo of the garage board, and anything else before that, may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back