Garage re-wire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Although my garage doesn't need re-wiring and existing has be tested ok I want to make some changes, no additions.
Work will entail replacing some of the cable (as existing will be too short) to be able to move sockets and lights to new positions and to conduit most of the cable.

As its just replacing cable and moving sockets lights and switches is this notifiable work under Part P regs?
Its run from 15amp wired fuse in the bungalow C.U in amoured, is underground to double pole switch in garge. From there to a MCB Oh! forgot need to move that also.
Many thanks in anticipation.

Sponsored Links
Replacing isn't generally notifiable, can you post some pics and more info on what you intend to do?
Sockets should be on RCD protection to comply with the 17th edn regs.

Although my garage doesn't need re-wiring and existing has be tested ok I want to make some changes, no additions.
Work will entail replacing some of the cable (as existing will be too short) to be able to move sockets and lights to new positions and to conduit most of the cable.

As its just replacing cable and moving sockets lights and switches is this notifiable work under Part P regs?
Its run from 15amp wired fuse in the bungalow C.U in amoured, is underground to double pole switch in garge. From there to a MCB Oh! forgot need to move that also.
Thanks for your reply ]I'm just changing the cable and moving two sockets about sx inches hence having to replace the cable as old will be too short for new position and it is protected in fuse board Wickes CU MCB with trip fuses

Sponsored Links
Greengrass , as your making Alterations to the installation you will need to make sure the existing circuit you are working on are up to standard...this will include verification of RCD protection as spark123 has stated. You will need to test the job properly when completed.If it is in your own home then i dont suppose you will be supplying a Minor works Certificate to yourself and the job ,although still having to comply with the building regulations i,s not in itself Notifiable.

Thanks for your reply ]I'm just changing the cable and moving two sockets about sx inches hence having to replace the cable as old will be too short for new position and it is protected in fuse board Wickes CU MCB with trip fuses

Further quote: If I got my act together and thought out my original posting I should have added/used this, so appologies! to all. :oops:

On CU case the label states BSEN 60439-3......240v 50Hz
100A max........80A with RCD
on main swithc in CU is BS 60947-3 and is a 4way C.U.
Existing cable 2.5 for 13amp circuite 'White'
Existing cable 1.00 for lights & switch.
So replacement of cable will obviously be the new colour grey. Nothing adddd nothing taken away. Its just that I asked as I do not want problems later on selling of 'Where's the pass certificate for the garage'
It is all safe and profeesionally tested by friend with Megga multimeter tester [i think that's thet box of tricks he used] cancer took him from us so hence this post.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back