Garage roof - can I replace these nails with screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have boarded the loft space in my garage. There are a few protruding nails at eye level. I was wondering if I can screw these (braces?) to the joists instead, then remove the nails. Pics attached.

IMG_20190502_184657.jpg IMG_20190502_184321.jpg IMG_20190502_184336.jpg IMG_20190430_134606.jpg

Sponsored Links
If you can get big enough screws in there then yes.
Or you can take a hacksaw and cut the protruding parts off (or maybe a grinder - beware of sparks and flammable materials).

The nails are meant to go straight through the bracing boards into the truss rafters not out through the side splitting the wood :!: Like others say cut off the projecting ends of the nails ,but add some screws to securely fix the boards to the rafters. Where the rafters look as though they have been split quite badly and possibly weakened it would be prudent to add some ply screwed to each side ,say 300mm each side of the split to reinforce the timber. The builder did a similar thing with a roof truss in my garage but did reinforce the top of the truss around the split with plywood gussets .

Sponsored Links
Re bracing , yes, longitudinal bracing should be at ridge , rafter and ceiling node points.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back