1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Garage roof material choice?

Discussion in 'Roofing and Guttering' started by MisterG81, 17 Oct 2021.

1. MisterG81

MisterG81

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Currently looking at getting new concrete sectional garage built.
    Is there any useful difference other than looks between the various roofing options.. corrugated cement sheets, plastisol steel with felt backing, or insulated steel sheets?

Cement sheets and steel with felt backing seem to be similar in price, but the insulated sheets are a fair bit more expensive..
    use case for the garage will be car storage, and also additional freezer/tumble dryer.

2. Sponsored Links
  3. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Corrugated cement sheets are quite fragile, but they can last forever. Steel is I think guaranteed to last 10 years. I replaced asbestos with steel after using steel for the first time 15 years ago on an extension to my garage - a workshop/ motorbike garage. There was no evidence of corrosion at all, so more recently I replaced the asbestos on the garage, with more steel. Both steel and cement do suffer from condensation, especially driving a wet car in in cold weather - so worthwhile getting the insulated versions. I didn't and ended up adding insulation later.

Last edited: 17 Oct 2021
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. noseall

noseall

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There will be enough moisture condensing on that roof, on a cold winters' day, to make puddles on the floor. I'd get insulated sheets If I were you.

• Like Like x 3