garage roof trusses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
planning to convert my garage roof to a pitched type(from flat) can I make up my own roof trusses or should I (as my GF suggests :rolleyes: ) buy them ready made?can trusses be bought in a variety of widths or are there standard sizes? my carpentry skills are limited and not meaning to detract from you skilled Chippies out there....is it that difficult?what are the pitfalls?....thanks guys

Sponsored Links
Depends on the span and what you are covering the roof with (weight). Relatively simple to cut angles and bolt together, your maths skills will be tested more than your chippie skills.

You can get them made any size you like. What are the walls made out of?

woman prostitute? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Might be easier for you to have the gang nail roof trusses made, as mentioned, you have to know all the angle cuts as well as birdmouth etc

Thanks chaps, garage is about 10ft wide 18ft long,built of just a basic single brick skin,was going to cover with 18mm osb or similar then either felt or use those corrugated roofing panels from wickes and the like to keep the weight to a minimum?
Masona.....what's "birdmouth"?

Sponsored Links
this,
roof1c.gif

Not a massive span. With a ceiling tie connecting each end of the rafters, you could do away with birdsmouth. Just connect tie to wallplate with truss clips. Basic idea.

Thanks deluks,that's a real useful link....next question(s) ceiling tie? wall plate? truss clips? I'm guessing the tie and clips are some way of joining the whole structure together?metal bracket type things? and the wall plate.... is that just the face of the wall/brickwork?

just out of interest...what is the purpose of the Birdsmouth is it just to give the trusses a better foundation/purchase on the rafters?

just out of interest...what is the purpose of the Birdsmouth is it just to give the trusses a better foundation/purchase on the rafters?

Birdmouth is an extra support and it's easier to nail it into the wallplate, birdmouth should be no more than 1/3 the width of the rafter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back