Garage side door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a little project I got done. Well turned out quite a bit of prep work involved in it!

Putting in a side door for my garage. There had been a door before witt previous owner, but for whatever reason this was blocked up. So I wanted to open it up again. I had been searching for a door to fit the hole for ages, but other than paying crazy money for a solid new one, I was trying to get one second hand.

Then I found one on gumtree for £35. Solid oak door, was used as a back door. The sizes would work. Well chuffed! However when I started looking at door carefully, i realised it was not very square and was off quite a bit from top to bottom. So I spent some time planing this door and trying to make it square. I didnt get it perfect square, but I got it close enough. Off by a couple mm top/bottom. I then got a few coats of exterior woodstain on it.

For the door frame, I got some timber that would just about fit. However I really should have checked the lenghts of wood before buying. As they were around 2m long, there was bow and cupping going on. So I had to plane these down with a handplaner to try and make them more square. Ugh, what a nightmare! Wish I had a bench planer/thicknesser. Would have saved loaaads of time!

Then I had to get some wood preserver on them. 2 coats and well saturated them with a brush.

I borrowed a Titan angle grinder cutting the hole out from a family member. With the diamond blade, wow this thing just cut through the wall like a knife through butter. Impressive! However, i discovered the blade was not quite deep enough to make the entire cut, so I had to go from the inside as well. However for one side of it I could not do this, as there was a double brick support pillar at the edge, so couldn't fit the grinder in there. I ended up just using a long masonry bit and drilling loads of holes all the way down and then chiseling it out to make it weaker.

I thought putting in the door frame would be difficult after reading online, but turned out not that hard at all. I got it in and all plumb. I then put some silicone between frame and brick to seal it all.

I chose to have the door open outwards as I did not want it to go in the garage. So I lined the frame up with outer wall.

Then the weather turned and that put a hold on getting it finished. Need to put the finishing architrave around it and get them painted in same woodstain. Just need a few dry days...

Worst part of this project was the dust from angle grinding! Had dust mask on of course, but still it just got everywhere. Went had a shower as soon as i got it all cut out lol!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back