Garage size Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi I'm new here
We moved in to a house in Feb 2016 with a garage and studio at the bottom of the garden 1 building two rooms, its knackered the roof leaks in both rooms and wall 2 (see pic) was built on top of the existing garden wall and has no foundations well 3 bricks deep in the ground and nothing else and the floor has a big crack in it where the wall is on the move been built approximately 15 years, I have a friend who is a surveyor who says wall 2 should come down I've also had a couple of builders look at it and they said it should come down

I'm motorbike made lol and I sold my bikes to move house as are family was getting bigger 2 children now and to get married, but I'm missing the bike and want to get it sorted
Where we live parking is bad, no drive and street parking is mental Lucky to find a space within half a mile of the house LOL I knew this when We bought the house the garage opens up into a privet lane but it's not wide enough to fit two cars passed
We only have 1 car as wife dose not drive

So I don't know whether to have one big garage or have a parking area and smaller garage
Big garage I can fit car and bikes in, knock down wall 2 and start agen take out the dividing wall between the two rooms and put a new roof on and fit New garage door and floor
OR
Parking area and smaller garage , knock down wall 2 and start agen just for the studio part, turn the studio room into the garage and put a new roof on that section and then turn the garage into a open parking space with no wall as neighbour has no wall between us
IMG_0146.JPG

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
All measurements in centimetres
The garage from the garden
IMG_0138.JPG

Studio room I took the pictures from door one (sorry about the mess it a dumping ground at minute)
IMG_0139.JPG

IMG_0140.JPG

Garage section from door 2
IMG_0141.JPG
Garage section with my back at the garage doors
IMG_0142.JPG

So what would you do? Wall 1 cannot be taken down or moved as we live in a conservation area and it was built when the house was, we are the end terrace so the lane runs down the side of the house and then across the back, O and are car is a Ford s max 2012 model, car size I need 2 park thanks

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd have 1 big garage with an electric opening door so you can drive straight in from the lane. I'd put hooks in the wall so you could hang a tarpaulin as a divide to protect the car if your doing any cutting and grinding.

Depends if you plan on using it for anything but a workshop

my main thing is to fit the motorbike in and be able to work on it, but also be a work shop for my odd diy projects

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back