Garage to basic office space

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an attached garage that is of a sturdy brick construction, it has a felt roof and concrete floor. There doesn't seem to be any visible problem with damp or condensation aside from being very cold. It is accessed by a front door, rather than a traditional garage door. (it's more of an outhouse/annex really)

Now I'm something of a beginner but would like to use this space as a small office and have some Questions.

1. Is that slightly damp/cold feeling in the garage just down to the fact the garage is not heated or is there likely to be more of a problem.
2. Could I just go ahead, lay a damp proof layer on the concrete and lay a laminate floor?
3. Would I need to drywall the exposed brick to make the room livable?

This is only intended to be a stop gap of a couple of years until we can afford to extend/convert more dramatically if that would be relevant

Sponsored Links
it's difficult to be too specific without details of the existing construction to get a feel for the extent of dampness (ie existence of DPC & cavity wall)

but from your comments i feel you could make a reasonable "temp" conversion quite easily ie the cold is due substantially down to lack of heating.

The steps are:
1) introduce insulation
2) close off any draughts
3) add some heat

certainly go for your no 2. i think you could leave the exposed brick. i would try to add some plasterboard and perhaps insulation to the ceiling.

get draught sealers for any openings ie windows/doors.

Ideally get a radiator in by extending from your existing system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back