Garage Wall Construction...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm at the planning stage of a detached Garage, but just trying to work out what space I need.

I anticipate 5m wide by 8m deep internal floor space.

What is the best route for wall construction? Cavity wall? Single skin with reinforcing piers?

I'll have a conversation with Building Control too, but just wanted an idea of what's the common route...

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Single skin with piers

Yeah, that seems to be the likely outcome. Then secondary insulation if/where needed. (the back third'ish will be internally subdivided for a small workshop space).

Is that a construction method?

I suppose it's great if you wasn't to paint it every 4 years, and replace it every 15, look at it, and to pay more for it in the first place. :rolleyes:

Our main bungalow is rendered, but there really wasn't an option with that. The brickwork was really too far gone. I think I can get away without rendering the garage, particularly if I match the bricks to the substantial front garden wall. I'd really prefer not to render.

Our main bungalow is rendered, but there really wasn't an option with that. The brickwork was really too far gone. I think I can get away without rendering the garage, particularly if I match the bricks to the substantial front garden wall. I'd really prefer not to render.
Sorry, yes, I assumed you were using blocks.

I’ll be doing the noseall method purely because I’ve got more chance of getting the face work neat on both sides. Never done a single skinner.

You only really get one good face side, no matter how good you are. Bricks are normally at best slightly irregular in shape.

A detached garage you can do in single skin bwk with piers , solid wall brick outer blockwork inner skin , or cavity wall construction. If you are thinking about insulation a cavity wall would be best if you have the space. You could just do the insulated workshop part in cavity wall construction if you wanted.

If you don't want the full cavity wall option the ' 215mm solid wall, brick outer (pointed) block inner ' is best for lateral restraint fixings and the verge construction detail and better most would say than a half brick wall.

I had originally anticipated a 300mm cavity wall, based on inexperience and the fact that I do tend to overkill everything. Someone then suggested to me a single skin with piers every 3m, on the basis that I could secondarily insulate where required, but building control didn't sound too keen. They have referred me to parts of Document A, which I am yet to read/digest.

The conversation with building control did draw me towards a cavity wall with a 75mm cavity as that sounds advantageous for the other conundrum, which is the fact that I want as large a door as possible on the front. I understand I need to get a structural engineer to justify the solution for this door, or be content with 780mm returns, which I would prefer to reduce.

I appreciate all input so far, but any further help/tips are appreciated.

Further to this, what other aspects do I need to consider? Is Eaves height relevant?

I'll be having a conversation with a Structural Engineer this week. I have a family member who is a handy CAD'er, he's drawn up an early version, but his profession is designing Ventilation Systems, not Buildings, do you think there's a need for any more than this, once I ensure I've hit whatever requirements Building Control will have?

I feel it's a bit of a Chicken/Egg scenario and I just want to crack on! Thanks for your help everyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back