Garage wall insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My garage is part of the house with a bedroom above, at the back of the garage is a stud wall and a door which goes into our kitchen.

I removed the the screwed on plasterboard panels from the garage side and in between the noggins is wool insulation, but I just feel this isn’t enough as the kitchen is always cold and if I can improve things it’ll be better.

I measured from the back of the plasterboard in the kitchen and the nogging on the stud wall from inside the garage and it’s 85mm.

I know that PIR boards as usually twice as good insulation levels as wool, so I’ve been looking for 85mm boards and nothing really coming up typically.

I guess it would be fine to remove the existing wool insulation, put in a pir board then wedge the insulation back on then screw the plasterboard back on?

Ideally I’d just like to use 85mm pir board, tape the joints and noggins then put the plasterboard back, but this seems tricky as no bugger seems to sell 85mm unless you know somewhere online?

I wasn’t hoping to spend much on this as it should be simple, but I guess whoever built the stud wall shouldn’t have used 85mm battens?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Is a place you recommend? Also is the price what you see normal or are they doing the ol’ “supply and demand”? I only need about 2 maybe 3 sheets at 1.2m wide

I can see places like b&q, wickes etc no longer doing the 3 for the price of 1/2 on the rock wool loft toppers (that can wait but I really need to remember to buy some in the summer months)

Wherever is cheaper, and suggest somewhere local as delivery on just a few sheets will be excessive.

Sponsored Links
Hello,

My garage is part of the house with a bedroom above, at the back of the garage is a stud wall and a door which goes into our kitchen.

I removed the the screwed on plasterboard panels from the garage side and in between the noggins is wool insulation, but I just feel this isn’t enough as the kitchen is always cold and if I can improve things it’ll be better.

I measured from the back of the plasterboard in the kitchen and the nogging on the stud wall from inside the garage and it’s 85mm.

I know that PIR boards as usually twice as good insulation levels as wool, so I’ve been looking for 85mm boards and nothing really coming up typically.

I guess it would be fine to remove the existing wool insulation, put in a pir board then wedge the insulation back on then screw the plasterboard back on?

Ideally I’d just like to use 85mm pir board, tape the joints and noggins then put the plasterboard back, but this seems tricky as no bugger seems to sell 85mm unless you know somewhere online?

I wasn’t hoping to spend much on this as it should be simple, but I guess whoever built the stud wall shouldn’t have used 85mm battens?

Thanks
Just get some 70/75mm* stuff. You'll need another layer across the studs in any case so buy enough 75mm to do both between and across.

*Some manu's are 70mm and others are 75mm (oddly).

SecondsAndCo may be cheaper though beware that their stuff is seconds quality and may be thicker at one end than the other. They do say when it is..

Just get some 70/75mm* stuff. You'll need another layer across the studs in any case so buy enough 75mm to do both between and across.

*Some manu's are 70mm and others are 75mm (oddly).
Hello sorry for the long reply.

If I buy some 80mm pir insulation and put in the stud wall, would a larger almost single sheet of 20mm suffice to cover the studs, then put existing platerboard back on (the plasterboard is literally screwed in and painted white).

They’ll be no heat generated in the integral garage, I just don’t want it escaping the kitchen.

I have found a source a draught coming from the back of my tumble dryer area so I’m hoping when I remove the existing wool insulation and replace with PIR and some expanding foam I should be good then

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back