1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Garage wall issue

Discussion in 'Plastering and Rendering' started by BruceWayne79, 21 Nov 2018.

1. BruceWayne79

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi everyone,

Very new to this so please be kind.
    I have a garage that like most is just single brick construction, I'm looking to convert it into just a basic room that the kids could use when it's raining etc.
    My question is, can I just stick plasterboard sheets directly on to the walls with an appropriate adhesive and maybe a few screws?
    Us there any issues I should be aware of?
    Any information greatly appreciated.

2. Notch7

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Probably a bit risky on a single skin garage.

The wall might get wet from the damp soaking through from outside so your plasterboard may get damp.

If your garage is bone dry all the time -then it might be ok.

You can get foil backed plasterboard which could help, but you cant stick that.

What you could do is screw on 50 x 25 battens onto the walls and then fit foil backed plasterboard. There is still a risk of the plasterboard curling a bit if it does get damp.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BruceWayne79

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for that, unfortunately I've already purchased normal 8x4 plasterboard, everything else was an after thought (amateur mistake). Thank fully the walls are always pretty much dry throughout the year, I'm thinking the foil idea is something I'm go in to have to look at to go behind the plasterboard. Thank you for reply

4. Ian H

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If your battening the wall you could stick Celotex between the battens and foil tape over the battens.