Garage Plasterboard Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Looking for some sound advice regarding plasterboard. I've decided to convert my garage into a more useable space however I'm no DIY expert hence the name :).
I thought why not try it. What's the worst that can happen.
I've done alot of reading/research online and thought the easiest thing to do was to plasterboard the interior garage roof and walls. The plan is to do the roof initially and see how I get on.
Materials I believe I need 13 sheets of 2400 by 1200mm acoustic plasterboard
Rockwool insulation between the garage beams and or insulation foam. Plasterboard tape to cover the joints. Will be skimming with plaster after its all erected.

Question is can I just erect the plasterboard and nail it direct to the interior wood beams? Please see image. What other issues am I likely to face? What other materials will I need if any?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMAG0033.jpg
    IMAG0033.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 249
Sponsored Links
I thought why not try it. What's the worst that can happen.
I've done alot of reading/research online and thought the easiest thing to do was to plasterboard the interior garage roof and walls. The plan is to do the roof initially and see how I get on.
Materials I believe I need 13 sheets of 2400 by 1200mm acoustic plasterboard
Question is can I just erect the plasterboard and nail it direct to the interior wood beams? Please see image. What other issues am I likely to face?

Thanks in advance

You’d be better with drywall screws rather than nails to fix.

13 sheets of 2.4m x 1.2m is a big area to cover if it needs skimming after.
If you want to do it yourself and you’ve no skimming experience, maybe tape and fill on the joints will give you a better result.
If you try to plaster and it goes wrong, it will be harder to remedy. May even go bad enough that the boards need to come off or it needs overboarding again.
Could always board it yourself and get someone in to just skim.

You’d be better with drywall screws rather than nails to fix.

13 sheets of 2.4m x 1.2m is a big area to cover if it needs skimming after.
If you want to do it yourself and you’ve no skimming experience, maybe tape and fill on the joints will give you a better result.
If you try to plaster and it goes wrong, it will be harder to remedy. May even go bad enough that the boards need to come off or it needs overboarding again.
Could always board it yourself and get
someone in to just skim.

Yeah the plan was to do as much as possible myself then get someone in to skim it. I'll use the screws rather then nails. Is it OK to screw direct to the wood beams. Was thinking about the beams expanding/contracting and possibly breaking the boards? Thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are using 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard, its 34kg a sheet. So your 13 sheets will weigh 400kgs........

If you are using 12.5mm acoustic plasterboard, its 34kg a sheet. So your 13 sheets will weigh 400kgs........

Good point! Didn't even take into account the weight. Should be OK though. Just hope it does the job!

Good point! Didn't even take into account the weight. Should be OK though. Just hope it does the job!

The walls are obv fine, but fixing heavy plasterboard on roof isnt easy. Possible with a helper. Clamps help.

The walls are obv fine, but fixing heavy plasterboard on roof isnt easy. Possible with a helper. Clamps help.
I used a lightweight platform , similar to this.
https://www.tesco.com/direct/homcom...scaffold-platform/450-3154.prd?skuId=450-3154
To hold plasterboard to ceiling while I screwed it home.
Mine had round posts on corners which I extended to ceiling height [minus 20mm] with waste pipe cut with a point at the frame end, lifted board onto top of pipe and then rotated each corner in turn which lifte board tight to ceiling [pipe rose onto top of pointed end].you could use extending decorators poles to achieve the same thing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back