Kitchen Ceiling Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIY gurus,

I need to replace my old plasterboard ceiling in my kitchen and install a new one. Above the ceiling there's a flat roof and the plasterboard will be attached directly to the wooden joists. My problem is that I've received so many different advice to what materials I need to buy that I have no idea who is right.

Some say to use normal plasterboard, other said to use moisture resistance, others fire prove and the rest suggested to you the one that have foil on top. Some said to skim it while others said I shouldn't. Some said to nail it others to screw. Some say to paint it with high opacity paint and others with Matt.

I thought this should be a straight forward and was hoping you guys can tell me what is the best practice for installing plasterboard in a kitchen ceiling

Most appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I'm not a builder or plasterer so can only give you a personal opinion but when I did the kitchen in my last house I just used standard 8 x 4 boards with staggered joints. Got a plasterer to come in and skim it for me afterwards and had no problems in the 16 years I lived there.

If that is a flat roof above an extension I would suggest laying loft insulation between the rafters, held in place with some chicken wire. Will help stop your kitchen getting cold in the winter months.

I'd also insulate if possible, and probably make sure you've got a vapour barrier; kitchens kick of water into the air, and it will condense on a cold ceiling in winter. Foil-backed boards are one option,

I prefer screws to nails, but I'm DIY and not on the clock.

I'd get it skimmed, but some people can tape and fill joins very well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back