garage width

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

A neighbour has asked for advice regarding a new garage that her neighbours are building at the end of their own garden.

Some time back her neighbours replaced the fence between the two properties. Given that her neighbours' existing garage was close to the boundary, they "stole" a couple of inches from her land. At the time she wasn't particularly bothered.

Now they want to build a full width garage (ie 5m rather than 3.8m). The properties are terraced houses, approx 5m wide. She is annoyed that they: a) want to build to the line defined by their encroaching fence and b) want to have a roof overhang that extends even further in to her garden.

She is unable to contact the local council- the line is constantly busy. Any suggestions as to how she should proceed?

Many thanks.

Edit--------- i don't know her neighbours but the fact that they are blocking the communal drive at the back of our properties with their skip speaks volumes.

Sponsored Links
I don't know much about any of this, but I believe if they 'steal' any of the neighbouring land, it legally becomes theirs after 10 years if no objects in the meantime. I guess this means that if they haven't stolen that land more than 10 years ago, it still hers and she should be able to prevent them from building anything on it, if not even force them to tear down what is there at the moment.

I am sure others will know more.

If it's a boundary dispute, then she should contact a solicitor not the council.

I don't know much about any of this, but I believe if they 'steal' any of the neighbouring land, it legally becomes theirs after 10 years if no objects in the meantime. I guess this means that if they haven't stolen that land more than 10 years ago, it still hers and she should be able to prevent them from building anything on it, if not even force them to tear down what is there at the moment.

I am sure others will know more.
You're thinking of adverse possession, which was 12 years not 10, but was effectively ended in 2002, by a change ln the law preventing automatic acquisition of title to land.

Nowadays, the potential possessor has to apply for the title of the land, at which time the registered owner is contacted and can contest the claim.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back