Garage workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm looking at putting a few sockets in the garage, probably around 6 more in total, as I'm going to be putting a work bench and some equipment in there..

My consumer unit sits in the hallway adjacent to the garage, so straight behind it is fairly easy access.

This will be powering tools such as table saw, band saw, shop vac etc..

What sort of set up would this require? A straight up new fuse in the consumer unit and a new ring creating or a new secondary consumer unit in the garage?

Its not a huge run, probably around 20 metres circuit all the way around (half a standard UK garage perimeter)

I did have a small set up in my summer house but the electrics tend to trip if I run a table saw and a vacuum at the same time

Thanks,
Andy

Sponsored Links
New circuit....Electrical Installation Cert...notify building control....Get a sparky to do it and he will also advise you on the design of the circuit for what you need

New circuit....Electrical Installation Cert...notify building control....Get a sparky to do it and he will also advise you on the design of the circuit for what you need
and a 'Master' switch for the sockets (but not the lights) close to the principle entrance.

general comments cheaper table saws tend to have a high start up current so a say 1600w table saw may be double for perhaps 10 seconds so table saw start up will use all capacity for seconds so ok with tv or light at around 50w but no heavy background load like heater or fridge to avoid overload but once started before any load on the saw should be ok with further load like extraction but not heating at the same time unless say sub 1k

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, I'm in the UK, what sort of ball park figure would an electrician charge for a 20 m circuit going straight through the back of the consumer unit into the garage and a new breaker? If it makes it cheaper I can fit the sockets or wire them up myself, I've done plenty of them, it's only really the consumer unit I don't want to touch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back