power in my garage/Workshop mainly workshop

SMW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
info required !
Just moved in to a new house
i currently have what seems to be a spur from the house running to the garage.
i removed the socket that was in place and added 3 ie (total 3).
the cable running out to the garage seems to be 2.5mm (not what i would of used!)
I would like to add Garage Consumer Unit as the consumer unit in the house is fused.
is this a good idea?
what max rating would you suggest ie 16A/5A MCBs
also can the garage then became its own ring?
i guess i'm still limited by this 2.5mm cable that links the buildings?

at some point a new consumer unit will go in the house, but not until the kitchen is re done. 6months away

Thanks

Sponsored Links
this has been to done to death so many times, what you have is a bodge, (not your fault) try a search for garage electrics, supply to garage, oh and here is the crunch, part p

SMW said:
info required !
Just moved in to a new house
i currently have what seems to be a spur from the house running to the garage.
i removed the socket that was in place and added 3 ie (total 3).
the cable running out to the garage seems to be 2.5mm (not what i would of used!)
I would like to add Garage Consumer Unit as the consumer unit in the house is fused.
is this a good idea?
what max rating would you suggest ie 16A/5A MCBs
also can the garage then became its own ring?
i guess i'm still limited by this 2.5mm cable that links the buildings?

at some point a new consumer unit will go in the house, but not until the kitchen is re done. 6months away

Thanks
you have a bodge job there....

max load to the garage will be 13A. not much point makin a 13A ring...

if your gonna be usin it often, it might be easier for you to do it again from scratch

breezer said:
what you have is a bodge, (not your fault)
If I've read it right, the bodge is his fault - he had a spur with one socket and now he has a spur with 3 sockets...

SMW - does the spur come straight off a socket or JB in the house, or is it from a fused connection unit? If not the latter you should make it so asap...

(And make it an RCD one if the circuit doesn't already have RCD protection)

Sponsored Links
correct i have added more sockets, but thats only like plugging in a 4g ext lead.
the wiring was there already, i just trying to make sure its correct!
sounds like i need to recable it all
fuse box is old anyway and going to get someone to sort that for me.
just wondering if putting a small consumer box in the gar will make it safe in the mean time.

Stephen

SMW said:
correct i have added more sockets, but thats only like plugging in a 4g ext lead.
Not if it is an unfused spur.

the wiring was there already, i just trying to make sure its correct!
The wiring was already there, and with it supplying 1 socket it was already correct, whether it was a fused or unfused spur. What you have done (if it isn't a fused spur) is to make it incorrect.

just wondering if putting a small consumer box in the gar will make it safe in the mean time.
Not if it is an unfused spur.

it is fused back at the consumer unit

not in the gar though

That fuse in the CU is for the socket circuit, and, unless it's a 20A radial, it is too big to protect a 2.5mm² spur. If it is a 20A 2.5mm² radial, then disregard everything I said above, except the bit about RCD.

If, however, it is a 30/32A ring, the wiring regulations make an exception to allow an unfused spur to supply one socket, and only one. If you want the spur to supply more than one socket, as you have now done, you must supply it via an FCU with a 13A fuse in it.

ban-all-sheds said:
If it is a 20A 2.5mm² radial, then disregard everything I said above, except the bit about RCD.
As long as it is not a 20A rewirable fuse as well.

SMW said:

a 4g extension lead has a 13A fuse in it. if your work is not protected by a 13A FCU if on the ring main, it is extremely dangerous and a fire risk. as already mentioned, if its a 16/20A radial, then its OK. if you still disagree with us about how safe it is, then well have nothin to do with it and you should call in someone who knows what there doin

ban-all-sheds said:
That's never been allowed, has it?
I don't think it has, only protective devicies with a fusing factor of 1.45 can be used for a 20A 2.5mm² radial. You can use 15A bs3036 for 2.5mm² radials (subject to the normal conditions).

what we are saying here then is it will be safe in the short term if i put in a 13a fcu in, then as soon as i can dig up the path i'll get a new ring put in back to the house CU to supply the gar. :)

??

SMW said:
what we are saying here then is it will be safe in the short term if i put in a 13a fcu in, then as soon as i can dig up the path i'll get a new ring put in back to the house CU to supply the gar. :)

??

yes. 32A is fine for a ring of 2.5 (since in you have 2 of em, meaning 5mm²) but for 2.5mm its way OTT

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back