Cable for garage and workshop

Very doubtful, it's an off the shelf cheapo contactor available anywhere.
That's what I thought. Perhaps it wasn't obvious, but my question was essentially rhetorical.

In fact, I would have thought that such a 'standard contactor' would be designed (as might be reflected in the spec., if it could be found) to connect and disconnect all conductors simultaneously, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
That's what I thought. Perhaps it wasn't obvious, but my question was essentially rhetorical.

In fact, I would have thought that such a 'standard contactor' would be designed (as might be reflected in the spec., if it could be found) to connect and disconnect all conductors simultaneously, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John
Simultaneously is impossible but certainly have time limits, which I used to be able to quote(n)

Simultaneously is impossible but certainly have time limits, which I used to be able to quote(n)
You know what I meant :)

The point obviously is that no 'standard' 3-pole contactor would not be designed (or specified) explicitly to require a time delay between switching of one pole and switching of the others.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
In essence if either the voltage goes out of range 207 to 253 or it detects imbalance neutral and line it must disconnect line and neutral then disconnect the earth. And the standard 50 volt has been raised to 70 volt bonded parts to true earth.

Think I would prefer either TN-S or TT and in essence TN-C-S is not safe?

Be it a caravan or car or boat or petrol station TN-C-S should be banned. But we have TN-C-S so they are trying to find a way around the problem. But as it stands once an EV charge point trips, it needs a manual reset, so we have some bright sun shine and the solar panels cause the charge point to trip, so when you come to drive car, the battery is not charged, which means you need a car to do twice the daily mileage run so should the charge point trip you can still get to work.

In last house the guy across the road got a Renault Kangoo electric van for his milk round, it was claimed to have a range of 100 miles, his round was fixed length seem to remember 64 miles, and he had to have a back up vehicle and it was too common to see it parked up where he had not made it home, maybe only 6 times a year, but still it meant he had to have a back-up vehicle, as if it needed towing home then not enough charge for next day.

As some one retired and a car for me and my wife, one could be electric, on the odd time it did not charge or going over range I could use her or she use mine, but as only car electric is out.

For a car on charge in a gated drive or garage the 70 volt is not really a problem, but when I worked on traffic lights in the country, we were told 25 volt can kill a cow, so even 50 volts is twice the voltage one can have on a vehicle which may be touched by live stock, be it dog, cat, badger, fox or cow. So on the street it should be 25 volt max.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back