Garden Alterations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am changing my entire garden. I am going to close all three flowerbeds. I will remove all the old garden fences and garden poles. Old garden poles don't have inserts for garden fence. I like to put artificial grass for various reasons. Any advice how I should go about it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230605_135011.jpg
    IMG_20230605_135011.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
I have SEN children who are a handful. Concrete and tiles not good for them especially if they fall. Normal grass is high maintenance. Artificial grass seems to be reasonable option.

How will rainfall drain away?

Ordinary grass benefits from being cut at least once a year. It is not "high maintenance" although if you have nothing else to do you can tinker with it.

Are you from a country where gardening conditions are different?

Sponsored Links
What kind of underlay would you consider to put the artificial grass over to help cushion any falls they may have?

Whilst fake grass ["outdoor carpet"] might be generally execrable, and the "SEN children" argument a novel one, in this instance the OP already has a large concreted area to deal with. It's going to be quite the task to dig all that concrete out to replace with grass, isn't it?
We don't know what access the OP has to that garden either; it might be that they have to cart literally every piece of broken concrete up some steps and through their house to a skip out the front. I can see why the idea of fake grass is appealing in this case.

I can't see the appeal of ever installing that stuff, and if the War on Plastic continues then it'll be outlawed and illegal in a few years time.
Isn't there a surface such as they use in playgrounds to cushion falls and cover the area without taking up the concrete?
That fence could use some work done as well; is it the neighbours?

Don't go for plastic grass! The real stuff really isn't high maintenance and on hot days, a real lawn will make the environment noticeably cooler than it would be with plastic -- your children will I'm sure appreciate that. I spent a day at a BBQ where plastic grass was installed. When we got home (only around the corner) we really noticed how much cooler it felt being on an open 'real' lawn.

Plus, it provides food and nesting materials for our wildlife.

Apparently on really hot days dogs can burn their feet on fake grass so probably not child friendly either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back