21m length, 1.8 meter fence advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers,

My house is at an end of a street with an L shape garden area. Currently, there is a 50cm height brick fence. One side of the garden is along side a street (16m). I want to build a tall around 1.8m height wooden fence. At then end of the fence I am planning to do a 90 degree turn and join the fence with my garage (5m).

I am unsure as to how to best approach this. Should I dig holes in the ground and cement the poles in or buy metal things that go into ground and then screw the posts into them? which one is a better option? How far apart should the poles need to be? How thick should they be? Are there any guidelines for doing this sort off stuff? Are there any permits required to fences.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Definitely dig holes and cement the posts in....the spacing depends on which panels you intend to fit.
Posts minimum 4" x 4", as for your legal entitlements, I can't say.
John :)

Definitely dig holes and cement the posts in....the spacing depends on which panels you intend to fit.
Posts minimum 4" x 4", as for your legal entitlements, I can't say.
John :)

Thanks John,

I am not planning to use panels. I would like to use vertical planks along the length with horizontal planks between the posts.

Sponsored Links
You're not restricted to 1m adjacent to the highway. You can have a fence over 1m with Planning Permission. Whether an illegal fence becomes subject to enforcement action depends entirely on the particular situation.

Thank you for responses.
Just to give you more information. There is currently a 2foot brick wall which marks the boundary and is alongside the road/path. I would want to put my new fence just behind it without removing it. So my understanding is that because my baoundary is marked already by a small wall I can put my new fence without any issue, am I thinking right? Also thanks for the link that will be useful.

Well that's pants. Why does it need to be so difficult for me to do anything on my land.

Because what you do on your land does not always just affect you. It may affect neighbours, pedestrians, drivers, cyclists etc.

Well that's pants. Why does it need to be so difficult for me to do anything on my land.

Because what you do on your land does not always just affect you. It may affect neighbours, pedestrians, drivers, cyclists etc.

That's correct for people who do not care about neighbours, pedestrians, drivers or cyclists. However, I am sick off neighbours, pedestrians, drivers and cyclists lurking and trashing my garden.

The rules are stupid though, the predominant ethos behind this rule is to ensure access into and out of domestic driveways is safe, a fence along the side of property that happens to bounder a highway does not harm anyone.

The rules are stupid though, the predominant ethos behind this rule is to ensure access into and out of domestic driveways is safe, a fence along the side of property that happens to bounder a highway does not harm anyone.

+1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back