Garden Blockwork Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build a blockwork wall, around 2m high, with a 1m planter built onto the front of it, what thickness does the wall need to be and how many piers should I use?

Sponsored Links
600mm deep, 150 concrete.
250mm wide, but depending on the width of the blockwork.

I'd like to use standard 100mm blocks single skin as I reckon the planter on the front of it should give it a lot of strength anyway.

what do you think?

I will let others more experinced than I to comment on the above groundwork.

A few years ago I helped a friened dig the footings for a 9" wide wall 1.2m high and I think we probably dug down 600mm. While we were doing this work I heard that a plane had collided with a tower in NY, the rest is history, so that dates it.

It is the only wall in the road that is still vertical.

If I was doing this I think I would try for 1m footings as a guess. I doesn't have to be your full 250mm width at the bottom of course, but in practice it is dificult digging by hand very narrow trenches to any depth.

You could always sink/concrete renfoced concrete posts every now and then to a depth greater than 1 m and do the rest of the footing to 600mm to save some digging and concrete. What to the pros here think about my ideas?

Sponsored Links
A 2m high wall will require a decent footing, i.e. minimum 225mm thick and at a suitable depth. The depth will be determined by local soil conditions.

The wall will need to be 225mm thick. The skins can be tied together with a couple of courses laid flat every two courses or so.

Pillars may not be necessary as it may gain stability from the planter, provided the planter is integrated into the structure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back