Blockwork shed - rules about piers and wall thickness?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have to design a pent roof shed for the bottom of the garden around 8m x 3m, and 2.5m high using blockwork so that it will last. I thought I would try to follow good practice and looked in the Part A Approved Document where it seems to say that the wall thickness for a single skin wall must be at least 1/16th of the story height, which means 150mm.

Now my garage, and also the place where I go to work every day are both built out of 100mm thick walls, and both have piers.

Can anyone point me at a document (or book) which would justify me building with 100mm thick wals, and tell me at what intervals along the wall that piers are required?

I don't need building regulation approval, but I do want to meet a similar standard.

Sponsored Links
I don't know where the standards are but my architect designed garage, 8m X 5m, has two piers in each of the long walls, and one in the middle of the back wall. (the front wall is the door.)
You can adjust the position of these piers slightly to accommodate doors/windows.

So I'd guess similar for your long walls and perhaps none needed in the short walls, although I'd guess you are at the limit at 3m.

Go to Approved Document A 2004 Edition Pages 29 - 30 - 31. All the information you require is there. Any problems then come back and will explain.
oldun

Sponsored Links
Thanks to everyone who replied, and particularly to theoldun. I should have read further into the document than I did. This was exactly what I was looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back