Garden Boundary Query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping this is the correct forum and hoping someone can help. My garden is separated from my neighbors by the original 3ft concrete posts which once had 3 strands of wire through them. My query is my boundary up to my side of the concrete posts or up to the centre of the concrete posts where the holes are for the wire? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It would usually be assumed that the posts demark the boundary hence the boundary is technically in the middle of them.

If you or your neighbour wish to put up a fence you should consider sharing it and putting I up along the boundary line and leave the posts in place spanning across the front of them with rails and boarded fencing. If you are not in agreement you may need to leave them in place and simply erect the new fence on your side of them.

Sponsored Links
I'm guessing that there will be several views on this on the only real answer will come from getting some legal advice....however after doing some research on this subject myself I believe that the rules are...

If the boundary is yours, the fence posts have to be on your land. This means when erecting a new fence, the fence panels should be on the far side of the posts. Shared boundaries are uncommon and only in the event that the boundary is shared is the boundary line central to the post line.

Always worth letting your neighbour know your intentions before you start. If they believe you have researched the issue and explain your plans, they are more likely to not care. If you just plonk a new fence up taking away 2 inches of land that they believe is theirs, then you are asking for a war.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back