Garden Brick Wall help....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I've just bought my first house, and it needs a lot of work, so no doubt I will be posting on here a fair bit.

My first and main concern is the garden wall. It looks knackered to me, I don't know what to do. Basically, I want to re-point it, and potentially build it up by 2-3 courses. It is attached to an outbuilding (I will be posting re bricking up the door for that!) and the otherside is joint to the house itself. It has been painted on the inner side and I will be trying to remove this very carefully. There is also a front garden wall which the last owner half knocked down, can I build this back up?

I'm on a very low wage, and therefore I will be trying to do the work myself! Any advice is welcome. Thank you :D

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.46.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.46.09.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.46.39.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.46.39.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 120
  • Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.47.08.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.47.08.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 110
  • Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.45.34.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-02 at 17.45.34.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 110
Sponsored Links
It's not great and could do with repointing but it's a long way from being knackered. Pointing is a slow task, but DIYable. However, unless the wall looks really loose, wobbly, I'd put it in the "round tuit" pile and do anything else that is more urgent. It doesn't look like it is going to fall down any time soon, and it's probably been like that for a long time.

Thanks Mr Rusty. The bricks are loose and when i push the wall the top half of it does seem to be loose, will re-pointing fix this?

Hello, if the bricks are loose, they really need to be taken off and relaid.
As mentioned do the other jobs first then visit it again in summer (y)

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
agreed, if the bricks are loose and wobbly, pointing won't help. They need to come off and be relaid.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back