garden building

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i currently have a largish garden which is angled at the bottom with our loghouse down the bottom corner ,been the shape it is it has excess space at the rear of the loghouse also down the right hand side which is approx a meter,im concidering removing the loghouse and building a building from celcon aerated blocks basically to follow the shape marked in red around the loghouse which will be the size on the sketch (sorry no good with pcs ) and it will have a 3m glass doors on the front and the remaining front and left faceswill be cladded over the block in vertical planks of red cedar also a flat epdm roof @2.4 m ,the rear and left extenal sides will be rendered .The building will have approx 12 " space around the rear and right side before it meets our fence .My question if you can help is the laws on building controls as it says it maybe needed if the building is closer to the boundry and built from a substantally conbustable material ,my thinking is that i should be ok as its made from block with a flat roof .Would i be right in thinking that .

Sponsored Links
I have added the sketch to my album but cant seem to attach it could someone help me out here sorry again tim

google 'definition of 'substantially non-combustible'', and you will see policy guidance issued by several building control depts. Some say timber flat roof complies, others say it wouldn't, so that's anyone's guess.

As for the walls, can't quite fathom your layout but if the cladding is going to be 12" from the boundary, would assume most inspectors would not accept that. It would be fire-resistant from inside the building, and probably not a hazard to your neighbour, but a fire on your neighbour's side could cause you a problem.

Check first with your council, or just do it and be prepared to remove the cladding. Presumably the neighbour would rather see cladding than blockwork.

hi thanks and sorry for not being very clear ,the cladding would only be on the two faces facing into our garden so the front and the left side ,the rear and left side of the building against our neibours would be rendered block but would be unvisable from the neibour as she has heigh hedging also apple trees and she would be fine with it .My main concern which you have pointed out was the flat roof issue as i read somewhere they would class it as conbustable :confused:

Sponsored Links
We have a similar situation with our garden room, however in our case the building is timber cladded on all sides. BC were ok with a double layer of plasterboard on the sides close to the boundary.

Regs are designed for stuff like loft conversion etc and are not that relevant to a garden room but are applied non the less.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back