Garden cabin as holiday let - council objects

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I own (haha - Halifax do) a terraced house in Bristol with a 150 ft garden. I have recently erected a camping pod in there (intended for personal use mostly), which I have been letting out to visitors to Bristol on an occasional basis during July and August. As I had let out one of my rooms on a similar basis before, it didn't occur to me that using a cabin in the same way might fall into a different category (as it's not a self-contained unit, has no plumbing and is ancillary to the main house).

However, after being reported by my neighbours, the council decided I could not keep letting it (planning regulations have not been breached and there was no concern regardnig planning permission). The Council agree that it is within the permitted development rights and are only objecting because we are making money out of it, not because of any worries about density of accommodation in the area.

Has anyone got any experience with similar cases? I am currently looking for possible routes for appeal and would appreciate any advice as I wouldn't want to make the matter worse by trying random actions.
Thanks
Jacob

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back