Garden chipper

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of reeds which were used as insulation above the laths in my property, so was thinking of getting a wood chipper as this would also be useful in the garden and certainly deal with the reeds.
?
But, the further thought occurs as to whether there are any recommendations for chippers which will be suitable for laths as well? I'm only looking at a basic, dare I say it 'hobbiest' model - although I have quite a bit to do, I cannot justify spending £1000's on professional models.

The main issue I see is that the laths will naturally have nails in them. Even if I removed them, it is still likely they will have nails which have snapped one off where it is rusty leaving shards of metal.

Any recommendations on models or other ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As above.....I have an ATCO slab cutter type shredder.
Some clown dropped some barbed wire in it, and the result was a new cutter needed at £120 o_O
John :)

your best bet would be a slow speed shredder, which crushes the wood by something like a gear wheel turning against a metal plate -the gap between then has to be small about 0.5mm or the branches dont separate

its likely the nails would get stuck in the small gap causing damage

the fast shredders which are like food liquidisers would quickly get wrecked by nails

Sponsored Links
So, as I understand the replies, a slab or slow speed cutter would probably be ok for the reeds but no cutter would be any good for nails...

Is that correct?

Thanks

Hire 3 Beavers to chew through the wood!

Hire 3 Beavers to chew through the wood!
Knowing my luck they'd have the floor boards and joists too...

Or worst still, knowing the beavers we have round here, leave the reeds and just take the floor boards and joists. They'd then claim to be too full to take on the reeds.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back