Garden concrete slab thickness (tiled over)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had a tiled area in the garden that I wanted to slightly expand. The tilers poured some concrete where the new tiles will go. They poured it directly over the soil and it is not reinforced (no rebars or mesh). The soil had fair bit of rocks/pebbles in it. The concrete is in the thickest sections 5cm thick, in the thinnest about 2.5cm, and generally around 3.5-4cm. The top is flat but the bottom side is not (don't think they compacted the earth well before the pour). They will put about 1cm tile adhesive and install 2cm thick tiles which are 80x80 in size. There will only be foot traffic and chairs perhaps in this area - no cars or very heavy objects.

My concern is that the slab is not thick enough. Is there a risk that when / if ground freezes or the ground settles for any reason the concrete will move enough to disturb the tiles above? We are in London, so it does occasionally get below freezing in the winter, though not sure if cold enough for the ground to freeze properly under the tiled/concreted area.

Breaking the concrete and redo-ing will be painful. Is 3.5-4cm sufficient to hold the tiles straight?

Sponsored Links
it all depends on whether there is any reason for the ground below to move.

that would happen if: ground wasnt thoroughly compacted, soil is shrinkable clay or shrinkable top soil, or there are trees in the vicinity.
any movement below will cause cracking

the uneven thickness is a concern.

the reason for thickish slab for a base like 100mm plus is that the slab is strong enough to not crack if there is a bit of movement underneath.

Thanks for the response. There are no major trees neaby (just some rose plants). The soil has been around for some time undisturbed, except maybe a few cm top soil that the tilers moved about to level the area.

My dilemma is now whether we have to go through the headache of breaking the concrete that has been put in and redoing, or tiling over what's been done...

Risky tiling it as it is. You’d be gutted if it cracked. You could potentially score/rough up the existing and top it up another 50mm, SBR it, but the safest option is break it out and redo

Sponsored Links
can't do on top unfortunately. The level has to match the tiles that are already there (this is an extension of the tiled area). Could potentially dig some holes and pour concrete underneath to underpin, but otherwise it's a full removal and re-do...

Pointless, might as well break it up and redo, and underpinning the edge won’t stop it cracking elsewhere.You’d also need to pack it as the underpinning concrete will slump as it dries. Doesn’t solve the issue unfortunately

the answer hinges entirely on how much concrete there is to get up .slightly expand’ means nothing.
25-50 mm of concrete will come up easily. but i’d tile it anyway and see how it pans out by next summer. even though it’s not been done correctly.

the answer hinges entirely on how much concrete there is to get up .slightly expand’ means nothing.
25-50 mm of concrete will come up easily. but i’d tile it anyway and see how it pans out by next summer. even though it’s not been done correctly.
Tile on top of 25mm concrete :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back