Garden Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

hope you can help me on this

I have an armoured cable 6mm I think...going from a double socket inside my house to a point in the garden...its not yet live but what do i need to do to get some sockets....

Cheers..Mas

Sponsored Links
thanks for the advice sparks..i actually have an electrician doing the work..but I thought I'd better research the area so I know all my options...

It all depends on how the armoured cable is connected to the indoor socket and how that socket is wired into the installation.

If it is a genuine ring circuit, you can add one socket to the circuit. You will need outdoor sockets (Masterseal are best) and you need to know how to connect armoured cable via a waterproof gland to the socket box. You also need to ensure that the armour is earthed, using a banjo washer, nut and bolt and ring crimp. If you want more sockets, you may need a fused spur.

That's the simple bit done. You need to assess and test the circuit you are coming from as well as the new part of the circuit that you are going to create. You also need to notify the local council of the work you intend to do. This is where most people do the sums and realise that from start to finish, to get an electrician in will be QUICKER and possibly even CHEAPER.

EDIT - so you're getting an electrician in! Why didn't you ask him how to do it?!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back