Garden electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently mooved into a property which has an external 32A commando rcd. If I connect SWA via a male plug into this, and then subsequently tunnel this down the garden, (approx 40m of 3 core SWA) to power garden lighting, the shed, water featres etc, via IP66 junctions, would this be considered a tempory fixture and therefore neither notifiable or certifiable under part P?

Greatful for your opinions ASAP. Sorry also posted this in the gardening section. 1st time on this forum!

Andy :?:

Sponsored Links
It's a rough way of trying to avoid Building Regulations which will still apply in any case whether the cable is plugged in or hard wired.

i'd also love to see the SWA terminated into a plug top! Presumably there would be a box to terminate the SWA into then flex into the plug top? But as above anyway

Thank you. You see whats confusing me, is Blagdon market a setup which though not on the same scale, is in principle power cable run down the garden via an RCD. So surely yes has to comply with the standards but not notifiable / certifiable? Or am I completely wrong.

Please don't worry I will get a proper sparky in but good to explore this one as there is always loop holes in the rules, which can lead to stupid things.

Andy

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid that Blagdon are lying through their teeth.

And even if they weren't your plan would still be notifiable, as you are fitting the plugs etc yourself - you're buying a bunch of components and wiring them up, not a pre-assembled CE-marked kit with integral plug & socket connections.

More than likely.

Quote from their literture:

If these products are wired directly into the mains circuit using a fixed wiring spur instead of using the standard 3 pin plug and cable supplied, the instillation must be carried out by a competent electrician.....

Implys if you plug it in via the RCD supplied you don't!?

A

i'd also love to see the SWA terminated into a plug top!
Why just the top of a plug?

Wouldn't you need the whole thing for it to work?

Presumably there would be a box to terminate the SWA into then flex into the plug top? But as above anyway
Conceivably a 32A 60309 could be made so that it takes SWA - there's certainly room.

Don't know if anybody does, though.

I've never seen it done that's for sure.

It seems crazy to me that someone actually intends to do the job wrong in a misguided attempt at avoiding having the installation checked to make sure it's safe for him and his family to use :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back