new garden electrics please advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm about to install some new garden electrics which i plan to get signed off when completed.Please can any trade with the knowledge of the current regs please advise on my plan and the choices made.

Garden is about 30m in length

i intend to use 4 or 6mm 3 core swa from inside CB protected by 32a RCBO to small weatherproof CB in garage (40A RCD)

plan to use the third core as the earth( can i keep the sheathed earth just as extra armouring?)

from a 16A MCB in the garage via 2.5mm 3 core swa to 5 double sockets in a large shed at the end of the garden (30meters).this will be radial not ring.not used very much,just the odd power tool,lawn mower,drill,angle grinder etc-not all at the same time!

from 6a mcb in garage via 1.5 mm 3 core swa to various outside lights totalling 750 w

additional 6a then to lights inside the shed (using normal t/e once inside) (150w)

additional 6a to 4 outside wall lights with again 1.5 mm 3 core swa wired with a photo cell.

all lights will be then switched from inside the kitchen via switch cables.

all wire will be trenched at about 500 deep inside 32mm plastic pipe and covered by the concrete foundations of the soldier course around the garden

MANY THANKS

Jon

Sponsored Links
Firstly with respect to part p, you either need to get a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme in to do the work or you need to notify your LABC before you start and pay their fee. Don't be suprised if a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme refuses to sign it off as his own work.
There is no need to have an RCBO protecting the cable to the garage if you are putting in a board with an RCD. You can use the extra core as an earth but the armour still needs to be earthed. You don't say how long the 4/6mm cable is??
What type of supply are you on? Is there any extraneous conductive parts in the garage/shed i.e. metallic water pipes, metal building structure etc?
A 16A supply seems a bit light for 5 double sockets, do you also plan to use a heater in there? How long a length of SWA? Lighting in the shed should ideally be on the same supply as the sockets with a common point of isolation for both.
Can you pick up a supply from inside the kitchen to feed the outside lights?
How deep are the foundations?

Spark123 said:
Firstly with respect to part p, you either need to get a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme in to do the work or you need to notify your LABC before you start and pay their fee. LABC Don't be suprised if a spark who is a member of a competent person scheme refuses to sign it off as his own work.
I guessed that may be the case-shop around i suppose!
Spark123 said:
You don't say how long the 4/6mm cable is??
about 20 meteres
Spark123 said:
What type of supply are you on?
seeboard se,if thats wht you mean
Spark123 said:
Is there any extraneous conductive parts in the garage/shed i.e. metallic water pipes, metal building structure etc?
No none it is a new brick/timber construction which im just building
Spark123 said:
A 16A supply seems a bit light for 5 double sockets,no more than 2 will be used at once do you also plan to use a heater in there?
no
Spark123 said:
How long a length of SWA?
from garage to shed is 90 feet
Spark123 said:
Lighting in the shed should ideally be on the same supply as the sockets with a common point of isolation for both.
do you mean both on a switched fused spur?
Spark123 said:
Can you pick up a supply from inside the kitchen to feed the outside lights?
no as i want them on a seperate circut
Spark123 said:
How deep are the foundations?
300mm

Sponsored Links
comcreteing into the foundations isn't a good idea..

when someone comes along and decides to change the wall then the first thing the'll do is jackammer the wall down and the foundations.. and go straight through your cable..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back