Garden electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've recently moved into a new house and have a 3 gang modular fcu. 1 does an outside light that works fine. The other did the pond filter (previous owner removed these but just cut cables) I have removed the fuse. The last one did the greenhouse lights and sockets and also another fishpond. The greenhouse has been removed, the swa cable is still there but all other cable for sockets and lights that were inside the greenhouse have been removed. The is another swa cable that goes to the pond. I have removed the fuse from the switch but when I turn it on the rcd in the current trips. Would this happen if it wasn't live?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Removing the fuse only disconnects line, neutral and earth are still connected in the cable.
If the ends are cut it's likely that N&E have been shorted together, which will often trip an RCD.

The disused cables should be completely disconnected from the FCU.

As already stated, with a standard switched FCU switching off is normally OK as normally a double pole switch, in some cases you can get a bracket and lock to lock them off, but with a grid system version it could be configured in many ways, I use one to supply a row of sockets, it was a double socket, now single socket, switch and fuse, it was up to me to wire inside I switched the socket, but could have switched the whole spur.

Depending on make you may be able to get a double pole key switch, but really down to what you want to do in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back