garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey everyone,

bought our first house 2 years back and i noticed that there was a sort of communal fence, it seems to run the length of about 5 houses, it separates the bottom of the back gardens to the houses behind.

it looked very rotten when we moved in, but now it has started falling apart with the bad winds. 2 strips of wood have fallen away.

its a weird layout because where our garden ends its a straight drop into the next garden of about 3-4 foot. so i assume the posts that hold the fence up are actually implanted into the garden below.

the posts seem to be rotten aswell so would need replacing.

where would you recommend for the cheapest place to buy the new posts and wood panels or strips etc, bit skint so am trying to get it done as cheap as possible.

the fence runs for about 12 ft before going off into the next doors patch.

here is a picture of the damage:

any help and advise would be brilliant

thank you

Sponsored Links
lol that was in daylight,

it was dark at 3pm here today as really bad weather, il try and take a better pic when its not tipping down with rain

A word of caution; try & find out whose fence it is & talk to them before ripping it out & replacing. The property we moved into 3 years ago had a fairly nice timber panel fence down most of the length of one side except where there was some heavy undergrowth with a rusty, sharp & unsafe wire fence just a couple of inches away on our side. I decided to tidy it up, filled in the gap with matching, new timber panels & removed most of the dangerous wire fence & 50 year old, dilapidated concrete posts.

All hell broke loose when my neighbour (& we’ve only got one!) found out some days later as they were both his fences! In the end I took legal advice as it all seemed rather stupid but, it seems, no matter what condition the fence is in, it’s his property & you can’t just remove/replace it. The owner does have a duty of care so you could go through a long winded process of forcing them to repair/make it safe but the easiest way around such problem is often to put up your own fence on your side. It does of course all depend what your neighbours are like but I would hate anyone to go through all the agro I endured through ignorance.

Sponsored Links
yeah but i would emagine that as the fence runs through 5 sepertat gardens it would be your fence,

you could also have a word with the neighbour and see if they would put thefence in their garden and use 3 gravel boards under your panels to,act as a retaining wall for the drop from your garden to theirs

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back