Garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new pressured treated fence erected about 5years ago.
Which i paid for myself as at that time .With agrement with neighbour(On our boundry line.) Now we have new people that have moved in they have painted it brown which has come through our side it looks a mess. They have also damaged two panels with there brick rubble which is in a heap.
It is impossible to talk to them as they have a vey bad and nasty attitude problam what can we do We are now in our 70s . we do not need this.

Sponsored Links
Bottom line, it is criminal damage (the damage by the rubble), if it as you describe here, so seek legal advice. Sadly, you will have to prepare yourself for a long old haul and nastiness. Sorry.

You’ve presumably tried talking reasonably to them without going into a Victor Meldrew rant :LOL: ! I know it’s your fence but who is responsible for maintaining the boundary? Do they actually know the fence is your property? Do they realise that their paint has seeped through your side? Legally, if it's your fence they cannot touch it, hang anything on it or even paint their side of it without your permission & doing so amounts to criminal damage.

The Police will almost certainly not be interested unless they start threatening you & even then maybe not; the only option you will most likely have to persue it via a solicitor & ultimately through a civil court, with all the aggravation that will bring. I know form experience that this sort of thing is very annoying with neighbours from hell but if they really are, you need to ask yourself if you really want to stick your head in the Lions mouth. At 70, the chances are you really won’t want the sort of hassle & expense it will bring unless you have a healthy bank balance, a strong constitution & the tenacity to see it though.

If you still want to pursue it, I found this forum very helpful with advice to help solve a slightly different personal boundary fence issue I had some years ago;
http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back