Garden Flooded?! Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

This year the garden seems to have been flooded constantly and the grass is basically a pool now.
We thought it was a burst pipe but our local water supplier has come out and inspected everything and are saying there is no evidence of it being a burst pipe.

They haven't really suggested anything else we can do and i'm not entirely sure what to do now.

We don't have a drain to divert it too either.

Anyone any ideas what to do to get rid of it and prevent it from happening?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The only way to stop it is to find the source so guess it is time to break out the fork & spade starting at the deepest point of water if your garden is level otherwise start at the highest point because water runs downhill.

Has there been any building work on neighbouring properties or larger development on your street?

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for your responses.

Its been confirmed that the mains water and Sewage pipes are fine and definitely not the cause of the issue.

I've dug quite a few big holes which are now completely full of water, ive dug a hole up the top of the garden but there is no water, it seems that the water is coming through the side of the garden rather than the top... which is weird as the gardens next door don't really have any water?!?

There has been new houses built at the top of my road about a year ago which is when the water had got worse, although there is 6 houses without any water in the garden closer to the new builds which is strange!

if your house is on sloping ground there may be a layer of impervious clay which is trapping water and your garden is just above that layer while the next door gardens are higher than the clay
aquaifer.jpg

That would make quite alot of sense thanks for that Bernard. Any ideas what i could i do about that?

Have a word with the local council. explain that this problem has occured since the new houses were built. Ask if these houses do have soak aways for their surface water. Ask if the new soak aways are enabling rain water to get to the aquifer in a flash flow instead of the slower percolation that would have been happening before houses were built.

If they agree that it is possible then ask them for help in resolving a problem that seems most likely caused ( or increased ) by the houses that the council gave permision for and ( probably) insisted on soak aways being used.

Two options (1) the council agree to your garden draining into a surface water drain or (2) the council install means to remove surface water from the new houses and close off the soak aways.

Above all do not demand they solve it but ask politely but strongly for their help to solve it

I asked about the development because houses being built even at the end of the street can have a strange but severe impact on the passage of ground water.

They may have interrupted the flow of a free draining layer of ground etc or diverted ground water towards you inadvertantly. I doubt they have done anything wrong it can just be bad luck and ive seen it happen a few times.

Often the best technique is to put a deep land drain on the high side of your garden to intercept the water. You should seek permission or advice from the council regarding permission to drain this into the surface water drain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back