Housing foundations damaged by flooding from uphill woodland

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Thank you in advance to anyone that takes the time to read this, I am desperate for suggestions from anyone that might be able to help me.

I brought a mid-terrace home last year where my back garden backs on to an uphill woodland/wasteland still owned by the property developer. my garden is always boggy and sodden as it is on a heavy clay base I have now found out. whenever it rains the garden provides no drainage and water flows rapidly from the wooded area though my back garden and up to my home. There have been instances where the water has been only and inch or two from coming into my living room. in the 40c heat we had last summer the back of my garden still had pools of water.

I have already explored the following options:

1) The local water/sewage provider has already confirmed there are no leaks in any of the pipework, this is caused purely by surface water.

2) the owner of the wooded area is not liable as they are naturally uphill and have no duty to prevent water from running down into my property legally.

3) I attempted to dig a soak away but the water did not drain (and is still there) as the heavy clay base will not allow it to drain

4) I cannot implement any kind of French drain to lead to water anywhere else as my property is mid-terrace and I do not have anywhere I can drain it into.

Only very slight rain is need to for it to flood as seen in the images, and it takes a long time for it to drain away. In periods of extended bad weather my footings are constantly underwater which has now begun to cause damage to the foundations of my home.

I am really at a loss as for what I can do here, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 18.08.00.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 18.08.00.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 69
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 18.08.35.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-11 at 18.08.35.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20221020_162613.jpg
    IMG_20221020_162613.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
Neither neighbour is affected as they are both end of terrace. On my left side the neighbour has a storm water drain and on the right side the neighbour has a downpipe that surface water drains into.

The fence is flooded. Does the water not go to the neighbour's side? Your problem then becomes their problem. Perhaps they would help you to help themselves? This much water will kill the fence as well. It will become a part cost to them.

Sponsored Links
The neighbour to the right of me has paved her entire garden in stones levelling it higher than mine, I can't prove she did that to offset the issue but when I asked she wasn't very cooperative and said her garden is fine so it isn't her problem. The house to the left of me is slightly higher up so their lawn sits a bit above mine so water doesn't drain into his property.

The left neighbour where the fence is flooded completely also rents. I did try to get details about the landlord but he doesn't speak English.

Is there no drain of any sort at the rear of the property? Guttering, kitchen sink, toilet etc?

Is there no drain of any sort at the rear of the property? Guttering, kitchen sink, toilet etc?
all of the plumbing, bathroom/kitchen is at the front of the house. I can't think of a way I could connect the drainage at the front to the back.

Raise your garden like you neighbours did. Whoever is higher then wins.

Some discussions of similar problem: https://www.avforums.com/threads/nhbc-new-house-claim-regarding-garden-drainage.2169759/
I did think about this, but if I did the flow of water from my garden into theirs would be my liability as it would be a change I've made that is impacting them. Not only this but I only have maybe 3 inches I could raise it by which would have it be level with the bottom of my patio door.

Where does the water from your gutter go? Does it come down on a neighbour's down pipe?

Is the down pipe nearest to the shared fence or furthest away? That would indicate the location of the drain. If close to the fence, then you might have a section of the drainage under your property.

Is the down pipe nearest to the shared fence or furthest away? That would indicate the location of the drain. If close to the fence, then you might have a section of the drainage under your property.
It is nearest to the shared fence so only 50cm or so from my side of the fence. That would be amazing if there was something like that I could tap into. I would have to take up the paving slab and dig down to see. presumably I wouldn't have to dig down very far to see pipework if it's a surface drain. If there is anything like that it isn't currently connected to my garden as It wouldn't flood like this is if it was.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back